mommy of 2
    Blog Entries

Default Ridiculous teachers

So, this is not from district where nan goes, but another in this city. One of my friends has a third grader and a kindergartner. Her oldest has eye and ear issues. My friends took her DD to an appointment on a day that the class selected an autobiography to read... well not only read, but create a power point on and complete an oral report. So, the teacher selected the reading for her because of the absence. Well, the teacher chose The Diary of Anne Frank. Yea, the woman wanted this 8 year old child to read the whole book and complete the assignment. Well my friend allowed her daughter to read some of the book and gave her a rough summary of the rest. She called the teacher and said that the written and oral reports and the power point will not contain certain information.

Anyway, the teacher said that she had no idea that the book contained any information that was not appropriate for a young child. Mind you my friend called her and asked if they could switch books to which she was told no and if she did not complete the assignment then she would receive a 0. I cannot believe she picked the book without knowing the content.

What would you have done if it were you?

If I was her I would for sure be talking to the principal about it. Surely he would allow the girl to switch books.

We did the Diary of Anne Frank this year (Jack whose 9) but it was not the full version. It was a little book that gives the kid a general idea of what happened. No groosum details or anything. Mainly dealt with where they were hiding out, how they got their food and the fear they felt.

ºoº Going to see the Mouse ºoº
    Blog Entries

Wow, that's pretty bad. I would have called the teacher & the principle too.

So Glad 2 Be Back :)

I don't know why these teachers expect so much from these kids. I would have defiantly phoned/emailed the principal, and still would, and make sure i voiced my opinion. That's ridiculous!

Eva (7) had a report to do about Princess Diana a few weeks back. She had to read a book, and make a poster/power point about it. We did it. But she was telling me about a child making a power point and bringing it to school on a flash drive that had everything in it, even picture from the accident. She decided that she wanted to do a power point and take it to school, and I told her no we were going to do a poster and print pictures off to add to it, but that we would not be including any pictures from the accident. Crazy people. Why in the world does a 7 year old need to be seeing stuff like that? And where in the world were this kids parents? Why did they even allow it? Why did the teacher allow it? Did the teacher not view it first before allowing the child to show it to the class?
    In the end, I was upset, but i didn't say anything. Although, now that I think about it I probably should have.
    ~Elisha~
    Wife to Royfor 10 years

Mother to:
    Eva - 7
    Natalie -7
    Roy - 4

Sheeba our pug
    Grip our pitbull
    (No name) Bearded Dragon

Wow that's crazy! I just read that book last year and it's a tough read even for me. There's no way my 8 year old could handle that! I for sure would've went to the principal about it.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Did you hear any more about what happened?

mommy of 2
    Blog Entries

Her DD passed every part of the presentation. The teacher was not happy that my friends DD did not fully read the book but upon reflection she was accepting of it. Her DD's powerpoint is the best in her grade. It is going to be shown to the whole school. The principle did get involved and pretty much said a big screw you to my friend. The teacher did not feel the same way after she actually read the book.

I can't believe they are doing power point at such a young age!!! I'm glad the young girl did good on her project.

mommy of 2
    Blog Entries

I know the schools here start technology in preschool, so asking the kids to work in the program is not that surprising, but grading something kind of is. But, the school she is in is insane, but that is for another post.